I’m fourth generation Japanese-American and my father’s side of the family comes from the Fukuoka/Kumamoto area of Japan, yet we never spoke Japanese at home or knew much about our family there. I’ve always loved Japanese culture (and of course, the food!) but it’s been rare for me to get a chance to visit. I’m collecting recommendations from food-loving friends and also from my own research. Feel free to leave a comment if you have tips to share!
Map of Japan
For other cities and countries around the world, visit my Destination Guides page.
Things to Eat in Japan
- Sushi – There are soooo many varieties of sushi, it can be a delicious quest to sample them all! Here’s a great list of 13 different types of sushi.I got to sample homemade temari sushi and chakin sushi on this trip.
Things to Drink in Japan
- Japan’s Craft Beer Scene – a nice guide from the Gaijinpot Blog
- A Matter of Taste: Japan Archives – I went down the rabbit hole over at A Matter of Taste, which has a fantastic selection of posts from numerous trips to Japan, including a super helpful guide to accommodations in Japan.
- Gaijin Pot Blog – A great English language resource for foreigners
- US State Department: Japan – For current info on visas, travel advisories, etc.
- Guide to Long Distance Buses in Japan – from TimeOut Tokyo