The first time I visited Tokyo, I was a freshman in high school. It’s safe to say that many things have changed since then! I’m excited to be heading back, finally, even though it will be just a short trip. I’m spending a week in Japan (flying into Tokyo and out via Osaka) so I’m collecting recommendations for Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. Please feel free to leave a comment below if you have tips to share!
>> There are general tips for Tokyo below, but for WHERE to eat and drink in with a handy map view, check out this Tokyo list on Foursquare that I created based on all of your recommendations.
Map of Tokyo
Things to Do in Tokyo
- Toyosu Market – While I’m sad that I never got to visit the famous Tsukiji Fish Market before it’s closing in 2018, the fish auction has moved to it’s new location in Toyosu.
- Winter Illuminations – TimeOut Tokyo has a handy list of Winter Illuminations for the 2018/2019 season
What to Eat in Tokyo
- Monjayaki –
- Gyoza (dumplings) – served up by 82-year-old DJ Sumirock at Gyoza-sou Muro in Takadanobaba
- Ramen – of course you can find everythng in Tokyo, but unique styles here include Jiro-style
- Michelin stars on the cheap – TimeOut Tokyo has a guide to cheap Michelin star eateries in Tokyo, most under 1000 yen
What to Drink in Tokyo
- Tokyo Railway and Subway Map Guide – This 4-page PDF is a great reference for the various lines of the Tokyo rail system and nearby attractions.
- GaijinPot Blog: Tokyo – a great English language resource for foreigners
- Time Out Tokyo – great info including a nice guide on how to travel to other cities from Tokyo
A special mahalo to those who helped with tips… Yoko, Aga from A Matter of Taste, Matt C.,